you have a mental health problem? don't tell anyone...i'm kidding! speak up, be brave and be heard! beat that stigma!

This post idea has been swimming around my head for a while now, but after hearing a story the other week I felt even more pushed to write it. Someone I know has recently been having difficulties mental health wise, she's currently out of work and has been receiving help from support mental health people (I'm sure that isn't there technical title but we'll roll with it) who have been visiting her at her house to help reassure her, help her, give her advice and guidance. The people who have been going to see her have been supporting her with day to day things, for example going to the job centre. I've heard that signing on to job seekers allowance is an absolute nightmare. One of the support people (do we call them people or workers? I don't know), you know the ones whos job it is to support people who are experiencing difficulties with their mental health told her to not tell the job centre about her current situation, her current state of health. I mean really?! I for one was shocked that they told her not to tell them about it. I mean there is no wonder there is such a stigma surrounding the subject, hiding it only makes the stigma bigger and bigger. We shouldn't have to be silenced!


Work is a huge part of life, but so is our health. I know not everyone is comfortable with saying 'you know what, I'm struggling.' 'I suffer from Anxiety'. 'I suffer from Panic Attacks'. 'I suffer from Depression'. 'I suffer from Bipolar'. 'I suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder'. 'I suffer from Schizophrenia'. I've found my life and my health improve so much more by just being honest, not hiding from what's wrong/what's currently happening in my life. Don't get me wrong, not everyone is supportive. I've received remarks like 'what do you have to worry about?', 'what do you have to panic about?'. I've heard remarks many times like 'well what does she have to be depressed about?'. It isn't as simple as that, mental health is complex. It can be an absolute nightmare!

We live in a world now, where mental health is stigmatized (is that a word? I hope so) so much it is ridiculous. We shouldn't live in a world like this. You wouldn't hide away and be ashamed if you'd broken a bone or if you'd got flu, or any kind of illness that you can see would you? So why should we have to be ashamed and hide away if we have a mental illness? The answer to that is we shouldn't.

The truth is people don't want to know or understand unless it is affecting them. So is it the fact of they are ignorant? Or completely unaware of what is happening to others and could quite easily happen to them. We all have mental health, every single one of us and sometimes it gets poorly too. Unfortunately though it lasts alot longer than a stomach bug. Your mind is always there, it isn't going anywhere.

If you'd got a headache would you keep that to yourself? Period pains? Ear ache? Tooth ache? Pulled muscle? On the scale of things it is all health and it should all be talked about. Be open, speak up!

I've even gone as far as to add it into my personal statement on my CV, is that crazy? Maybe so, I'm scared about it. I'm scared of being judged but I'm also scared of lying. I don't want to live a lie. Anxiety affects my every day life, it's great (can you smell the sarcasm?). Some days I'm better than others, other days not so much. I'm not a robot, I'm not programmed a certain way, I'm human. I'm not invincible. I don't want to lie to people, I want people to understand me. I want to be able to get better, to improve my way of life. Will I improve that by being silenced? No, I don't think I will. I believe that regardless of me writing about mental health in my personal statement (it has affected me for around 7 years), there will still be a person with a heart behind the computer screen or opening the post with my CV and cover letter. I believe that someone out there will believe in me and just give me a chance.

10 comments

  1. It's so hard being aware of your illness all the time! I have PMDD, which, Thank God!, only affects me three weeks out of every month (ha...ha. because I get a "normal" week?). Because of how uncomfortable men get with those things, it makes it difficult to be open and have any sympathy. I mean, I get dragged into so many things because "No, I don't feel good" isn't good enough for those guys.

    Speak up about it! (: Be strong and confident, because the people who understand are the people worth keeping around! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss for the 'normal' week :) how do you mean you get dragged into so many things?

      Absolutely! :) xxx

      Delete
  2. You know you watch too much Pretty Little Liars when the first thing you think of when you see the picture is Aria at the end of the opening titles haha! Well done for continuing to raise awareness of mental health :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, exactly! :) love how I wasn't the only one on that wave length :)

      thanks Alice :) xxx

      Delete
  3. Yes. To all of this. More talking = better understanding in society = less stigma. Which is only a good thing. The other half's had depression several times in the past and he never used to like talking about it. He hasn't had a bout of it for about 6 years now though and he feels a lot more open to sharing what it's like to go through it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. without a doubt! :) hats off to your other half, talking about it makes it less scary for others. xxx

      Delete
  4. Well done you on your openness and this whole post. It's completely ludicrous to suggest to anyone that they should conceal, let alone lie about, their mental health - further adding to the stigma and feeding all of those misconceptions the world has about mental health issues.
    Brilliant post Anna Banana.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Michelle! :)

      I know right, I thought it was crazy, without a doubt hiding it youre only adding to the stigma and feeding all those misconceptions (really like that way of phrasing!)

      again, thank you! <3 xxx

      Delete
  5. This is such a wonderful post, I found myself fist punching the air on your behalf! There's times I would like to write Anxiety on my CV like you it's a big part of me & it does affect my everyday life whether employers notice that or not, it really does!

    Thanks for sharing such an insightful post

    Em xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma :) *fist pumps*

      I know exactly what you mean, I just want to be honest from the word go.

      You're very welcome :) Thank you for commenting Emma! xxxx

      Delete